Monday, September 5, 2011

Upcycled thrift store find



About four or five years ago I stopped by a local thrift store in search for picture frames.
I found two matching wooden frames with horrible pictures in them. The frames held character though and revealed their age quite well, something I was looking for. So I excitedly paid $1 for each frame and headed home.

When I came home, I lightly painted each frame with white paint. After the first coat dried, I knew a second coat would only take away from the beauty of each frame. Time was of the essence for me back then because I was so overloaded with college courses and work, I painted something quick for each frame and hung them.

I was never satisfied with my find until now. I am now living in my first home and space personality is more important than ever! I revisited the frames (as I knew I would one day...) gathered up all my craft supplies and similar to solving a puzzle, I found a way to combine what I had into something new!

In my recipe box:
random scraps of fabric (I love to sew)
clothespins
liquid nails (Hot glue works just as well in this case)
cardboard

The frame I have is a 11x14
So I cut the fabric about 13x16 to leave space for wrapping the edges
I took a 11x14 piece of cardboard and wrapped it with the fabric
I used liquid nails to adhere the fabric to the cardboard
Once the fabric was set, I placed the piece inside the frame and used the liquid nails to attach the clothespins to the fabric
And done!
I had a new way to show off pictures and notes :)

No comments: