Friday, September 9, 2011

When your dog is your only child

Today started out quiet. The sun was warming up the day and I felt it was a perfect opportunity to paint! I grabbed all of my materials and set it all up outside under the carport. My dog was following me around, wagging her tail and curious to see if I would include her. She's a 3 year old, pug and beagle mix, also known as a puggle. For those of you who have never met my dog she's just a little sweet thing. Only weighs about 25lbs (on a light day :) Of course, I spoil her rotten and include her in any activities of mine that I can. I gathered up her rope and leash and tied her up outside.

Matt was around the yard picking up branches and other pieces of nature's "trash" laying around. When I noticed the piles of branches and twigs I took a break from my painting and walked over to check it out. I saw plenty in the pile my dog would love catch and chew on. So I picked one up and threw it for her and she ran with excitement. She grabbed the branch and started chewing. I walked over to her and she was ready to play so I picked it up, threw it again and her little paws pranced across the yard after the branch. As she ran back she dropped the branch and quickly grabbed it again. When this happened though, the branch was sticking straight up in the air and as she went for it, it went straight for the roof of her mouth. The edge was sharp from her chewing it so it pierced the roof of her mouth. She yelped and dropped the branch then started to whine and cry. I ran straight for her, grabbed the branch and checked her mouth. There was no visible bleeding inside her mouth and nothing looked punctured. The sharp edge of the stick had some light blood on it, but it was not enough to rush her to the vet. We went inside and I crushed a low dose aspirin and put some (not all of it) in a soft piece of potato (left overs from last night) and gave it to her. She refused to drink water or take any ice so I gave her some ice cream (yes I'm aware it isn't that healthy for dogs) to help numb her mouth. She's been acting so sad ever since. She's responding normal, but is just taking it easy....and slow. I've been watching her since the incident and hoping to see improvements in her mood, but there isn't much. I don't have kids, so she is my only baby and she's my absolute pride and joy. It kills me to see her having a bad day...

No comments: